Pest Spotlight: House Spiders In Los Angeles
March 10, 2023 - Spiders
Spiders are arachnids that often scare people with their eight legs, eight eyes, and creepy webs. There is even a name for this specific fear, arachnophobia. While most types of spiders are helpful outdoors, keeping insect populations in check, they are never welcome guests in our homes.
Read on to learn about the dangerous spiders in California to watch out for and the ones that are just normal house spiders. If you have an abundance of spiders or some that may be dangerous, it is time to contact a Los Angeles Pest Control company to get rid of the spiders in your house.
Types Of Spiders Often Found In Los Angeles
Here are descriptions of the most common spiders found in homes in Los Angeles:
- Cellar spiders are the ones people often call daddy longlegs. These spiders are pale yellow to light brown or gray with long skinny legs. They construct loose, irregular webs and prefer damp, dark areas like cellars and crawl spaces.
- Common house spiders are the small spiders you typically see around your house. They are yellowish brown and create the tangled webs you find in corners, under furniture, in basements, and in crawl spaces.
- Black widow spiders are the only dangerous spiders in California on our list. They are easy to recognize with shiny black bodies that have a red hourglass shape on the abdomen. Their bites are not fatal, provided you seek prompt medical attention.
Contact a local pest control company if you need help identifying or removing any spiders in your home.
Why Spiders Invade Homes
Most spiders found in homes are simply searching for prey. An abundance of spiders generally points to an insect infestation. Some, like black widow spiders, will invade areas of our home if we have plenty of clutter for them to hide and lay their eggs.
Common house spiders are the most likely to be found in homes. They reveal their presence with the numerous webs they build throughout the house. Cellar spiders thrive in damp, dark areas, so any part of the home with moisture issues will attract them.
Six Simple Tips To Prevent Spiders In Your Home
The following are six simple tips you can use to prevent spiders in your home:
- Common house spiders breed incredibly fast and can quickly turn into an infestation. It helps to frequently vacuum up any webs or eggs you find and empty the vacuum outdoors.
- Reduce the clutter in storage areas like basements, garages, and closets. Clutter attracts all types of spiders because it provides good hiding places.
- Seal any cracks or crevices on the outside of your house to remove potential entrances for spiders and their prey.
- Reduce outdoor lighting or switch to yellow bulbs that are less likely to attract insects.
- Fix moisture issues and use a dehumidifier in damp areas like basements and crawl spaces.
- The most effective way to prevent spiders is to work with a local pest control company to eliminate insects in and around your home.
These tips can help you keep most spiders outdoors where they belong.
Contact The Pros For The Safe Removal Of Black Widow Spiders
Managing normal house spiders is something most homeowners can do unless they have a large infestation. But with certain ones, like black widow spiders, we recommend calling the pros at A Step Above Pest Control. At ASAP, our service technicians can help you to get rid of spiders in the house and suggest even more ways to prevent spiders in your home. Contact us today for your free quote.