The Simple Way To Eradicate The Fleas In Your Los Angeles Home
February 02, 2023 - Fleas
No pests are desirable, but the grossest ones to invade homes are those that feed on us and our furry loved ones. But make no mistake, pests like fleas aren’t just a problem for homeowners who have pets. These parasites can and will feed on people, too. To avoid these biting nuisances, you should turn to the pros at A Step Above Pest Control for total pest control in Los Angeles.
How Can I Tell If It’s Fleas In My Home?
Fleas can get into homes in a number of different ways. Most commonly, they are carried inside by unsuspecting people or animals. Like other parasitic pests, fleas can latch onto hair, skin, and clothing to hitch a ride indoors. They can also be attracted to your yard and simply hop right into your home through access points like an open door or window, a torn screen, or cracks and holes in your exterior walls or foundation. Lastly, fleas can be carried inside on used furniture and clothing or other items that can harbor tiny pests.
To tell fleas apart from ticks or bed bugs, keep these key differences in mind:
- Shape: Both ticks and bed bugs tend to be more flat and circular in shape, whereas fleas have a distinctive oval-shaped appearance and are not flat.
- Travel: Unlike other bugs that crawl around, fleas can actually leap great distances compared to their tiny size. This is thanks to their large rear legs that allow them to spring high up into the air.
- Life Cycle: Flea eggs and larvae look different than other parasites, too. Their small, rice-like eggs are found in clusters, and their small larvae look like hairy worms that turn into pupae before becoming adults.
To truly diagnose a flea problem in your Los Angeles home, let the experts at A Step Above Pest Control take a look.
Why Having Fleas In Your Home Is A Health Risk
Most people know that fleas bite both humans and pets, resulting in itchy welts that can take a while to heal. Fleas live off their hosts by biting their skin and feeding on their blood. While cats and dogs are their favorite targets for feeding, fleas often bite people too. This can lead to uncomfortable and sleepless nights, as well as infections caused by scratching the bite. In animals, the irritation caused by flea bites can lead to hair loss and infections. Getting rid of fleas quickly and effectively, as well as taking measures to keep them out of your home permanently, are important steps to take to avoid these health risks altogether.
How Do I Prevent Fleas From Coming Back?
Anyone who’s dealt with fleas before never wants them to return. Here are some steps you can take to prevent a resurgence of fleas in your home:
- Cleaning And Bathing: You should regularly bathe and wash your pets, as well as any bedding they may come into contact with.
- Using Medication: Flea medication for your pets is available at local stores and veterinary clinics, and you should keep your pet protected year-round.
- Vacuuming: Making sure to vacuum your home frequently can address the flea eggs that might be left over after an infestation.
The best way to make sure fleas never return is to partner with a trusted flea control expert like A Step Above Pest Control.
What’s The Best Way To Get Rid Of Fleas In My House?
Fleas don’t just go away on their own. Even if you manage to get all the fleas off yourself and your pets, they can hide within the fibers of your carpets, inside furniture, or in areas of your home that you wouldn’t think to check. Plus, the flea eggs and larvae you can’t see as easily as adult fleas will replenish the population as soon as you think it’s gone. That’s why the best way to get rid of fleas in your home is to turn to pest control experts.
At A Step Above Pest Control, we offer flea treatments that are safe and effective, meaning they won’t impact the health of your family or pets while addressing the root of the infestation. We don’t just treat inside your home, but we will also make sure to address the flea populations out in your yard. This comprehensive and environmentally conscious approach helps guarantee that your home is always protected from fleas. Contact us at A Step Above Pest Control today to get started.