What are birds?
Birds are warm-blooded vertebrates typically identified by a body and two wings covered in feathers. Instead of teeth, birds have a beak. Though most birds are capable of flight, there are some species that, while winged, are not able to fly long distances or at all.
Most wild birds aren’t a problem for people and live outside well away from us, minding their own business. However, some birds have come to rely on people for some of their basic needs. These pests birds are unwanted on our residential and commercial properties because of the problems they cause.
One of the most common pest birds is the pigeon. Pigeons are often referred to as "rodents" of the bird world because they share many characteristics, including the ability to spread diseases, cause structural damage, and take over spaces. Pigeons are small to medium-sized birds identified by their light gray bodies, grayish pink beaks, and dark bars running across their wings.
Are birds dangerous?
Pest birds like pigeons are a significant danger to have on our Torrance, CA properties. They are both a health risk and destructive to structures.
- Birds carry and spread pathogens that can make people ill, such as histoplasmosis, cryptococcosis, and psittacosis.
- Birds spread parasites like fleas, ticks, and mites.
- Bird droppings are not only riddled with diseases, but as they build up on the ground, they create an unsightly slip and fall hazard.
- Bird nests and feces cause damage to roof eaves, electrical equipment, air conditioners, and ventilation systems.
- Bird nests and molted feathers will eventually block up gutters and cause water to seep into the roof of a structure and its exterior walls.
Why do I have a bird problem?
Pigeons are very smart birds and, over time, have learned how beneficial it is to live with people. Our properties provide them with easy access to food and water, and our structures provide suitable roosting and nesting sites.
Pigeons and other pests birds are opportunistic and won’t hesitate to take advantage of an area that makes their lives easier. If our trash cans provide them with food, our roofs with resting sites, and clogged gutters with water, why wouldn’t they take advantage! Birds are a year-round problem in Southern California because our area offers them abundant food and shelter.
Where will I find birds?
Pest birds are regularly found nesting or roosting on our homes and businesses. Our yards also provide suitable resting or nesting spots like trees, light fixtures, outbuildings, and play structures.
When pest birds move into a man-made structure, they often take up residence inside dark, quiet spaces like attics, above rafters, wall voids, and chimneys. Vents and electrical equipment can also house these unwanted guests.
How do I get rid of birds?
Birds can become a real annoyance and danger when they decide to make themselves at home on any Los Angeles area residential or commercial property. They are frustrating and difficult to get rid of without the help of a knowledgeable professional.
To remove unwanted birds from your property, take the step of contacting your local bird control experts at A Step Above Pest Control. We are committed to our customers and providing them with quality pest control services. We provide humane bird control solutions in Los Angeles that include removal, prevention, proofing, and clean-up services.
To learn more about our comprehensive home pest control and commercial pest control solutions, and working together to take back your residential or commercial property from these unwanted guests, reach out to us today!
How can I prevent birds in the future?
Avoid experiencing a large-scale bird infestation in your Los Angeles area home with the following prevention tips.
- Remove bird feeders from your property.
- Make sure to place all trash bags in trash cans with tight-fitting lids.
- Keep outdoor eating and cooking areas free of leftover food and food debris.
- Maintain garden areas by regularly harvesting fruits and vegetables.
- Eliminate standing water that could provide a water source.
They were professional, thorough and courteous, while they inspected the roof area, and they wore booties around the house. It was clear from their observations that they were very experienced. I would call them again for future work.