What Are Bird Mites?
The bird mite is a type of tiny arachnid whose preferred host is the bird. These tiny mites use their specialized mouthparts to feed on the blood and skin of birds. Their main source of food is young birds still in their nests.
Unfortunately, bird mites don't just stay in bird nests; they migrate in search of new hosts. They often get into our homes and use people and our pets as food sources. Even though bird mites can feed on our blood and the blood of other animals, they can't complete their life cycle without feeding on the blood of birds.
Are Bird Mites Dangerous?
Bird mites aren't dangerous and don't spread diseases to people through their bites. But while they may not spread disease, being bitten by bird mites is unnecessary and unpleasant. A bite from a bird mite leaves behind a small, red itchy bump that is uncomfortable. These biting pests should never be allowed to populate around your property.
Why Do I Have a Bird Mite Problem?
Bird mites often become problematic inside your home or business when there are many birds around your property, and some find a way inside to nest.
When birds abandon their nest, and there is no longer a host for bird mites to feed on, they will migrate and look for a new host, often winding up in our residential or commercial structures.
Another common way bird mites get into our homes is on birds purchased from pet stores already infested with these tiny mites.
Where Will I Find Bird Mites?
Bird mites thrive in warm, damp places like bird nests. When bird mites make their way into our homes, they will gather in many different areas, including:
- Pet bird bedding
- Cracks around windows, ceilings, floors
- Inside fabrics or upholstered furniture
Eliminating bird mites from your home is difficult; they are tiny but live together in very large populations. Getting rid of these biting pests is best done with the help of a professional.
At A Step Above Pest Control & Termite, we offer thorough inspections and effective treatments to solve your property's unique bird mite problem. We will work closely with you to ensure all bird mites are treated and eliminated from your property; then, by implementing regular Los Angeles home pest control and commercial pest control services, you can be sure bird mites won't be able to return in the future.
To learn more about our bird mite control solutions and more pest control services in Los Angeles, reach out to A Step Above Pest Control & Termite today!
How Can I Prevent Bird Mites in the Future?
Protect your Los Angeles area property from bird mites with the following prevention tips.
- Place caps on chimneys and covers over vents to stop birds from nesting inside your home.
- Cut tree branches, shrubs, and bushes back from your home's exterior to prevent birds from building a nest there.
- Don't handle bird nests you find on your property or bring them into your home.
- If you own pet birds, regularly bring them to their vet to ensure they are free of bird mites.
- If you own pet birds, regularly change their bedding.
- Contact us for Bird Control in the Los Angeles area to help prevent a bird population from bringing bird mites to your home.