Ticks are a pest that causes a great deal of anxiety. Known to carry several different diseases, finding one of these insects can be very alarming. Ticks are also a nuisance because they're constantly hitching a ride on animals and pets, reintroducing them to your property. This makes infestations hard to tackle without the help of a professional.
Natural tick protection measures combined with regular extermination treatments help prevent infestations. Read on to learn how to get rid of ticks and why A Step Above Pest Control & Termite is a top choice for tick pest control in Los Angeles.
The Types Of Ticks You Can Find In Los Angeles
There are several different types of ticks in Los Angeles. Here are three of the most common species along with their characteristics:
- American Dog Tick: These ticks are brown with gray or white markings. Adults have eight legs, while larvae only have six. They are an oval, flat shape when unfed, and range from 3/16" to 5/8" in length. They get their name because their preferred host is the average house dog.
- Lone Star Tick: This species is a reddish-brown color, and the females have a single silver or white spot on their backs. They're between 1/6" and 1/2". Lone star ticks attach to human hosts, and their bites result in a circular-shaped rash.
- Black-legged Tick: Also known as deer ticks, black-legged ticks also bite humans. They are an orange-brown color and are between 1/16" and 1/8" long. They are flat and have a large, oval body.
Knowing how to identify these pests allows you to take the necessary tick protection measures to keep you and your family safe.
The Dangerous Diseases Ticks Are Known To Spread
Getting tick bites can be alarming due to the number of illnesses they are known to cause and spread. A tick feeds on several different hosts throughout its lifetime, making them natural transmitters of disease. Lyme disease is arguably the most well-known tick-borne illness. One of the major early signs of Lyme disease is getting a tick bite that results in a bull's eye-shaped rash. Some other dangerous diseases carried by ticks include tularemia, babesiosis, and ehrlichiosis. If you believe you have an infestation on your property, tick extermination should be a top priority.
Five Natural Ways To Protect Yourself From Ticks
Some tick repellents contain harsh chemicals, and many people rely on natural tick prevention when spending time outdoors. Here are five ways you can protect yourself from ticks while staying healthy.
- Eucalyptus: Make a spray using 20 drops of eucalyptus oil mixed with four ounces of water and use it to prevent ticks on your family and pets. Additionally, planting eucalyptus in your garden helps keep ticks away from your yard.
- Cedar Oil: Cedar oil both repels ticks and kills them when they come in contact with it. Purchase a spray from a natural health store or make your own with essential oil.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: A mixture of two cups of apple cider vinegar and four cups of water can be sprayed on you and your pets to prevent ticks. It can also be sprayed on your lawn furniture.
- Garlic: Eating garlic on a regular basis reduces your chances of tick bites. You can also take garlic capsules as a nutritional supplement.
- Protective clothing: Wear long pants and sleeves when making your way through tick-prone areas. Always check your clothing for ticks after you undress.
Using these preventative measures before doing yardwork or heading out for a hike helps you to avoid tick bites and their subsequent diseases.
The Best Way To Keep Ticks Away From Your Yard
To get rid of ticks for good, the best thing you can do is schedule tick extermination services. If you discover any of the above types of ticks in Los Angeles on your property, contact A Step Above Pest Control & Termite. Our environmentally-friendly treatment methods are registered with the EPA, and we take pride in keeping your family safe and healthy. Give us a call today to discuss our specialty pest control plans that keep ticks off your property for good.