The Los Angeles House Mouse: What Every Resident Should Know
December 13, 2021 - Rodents
Mice are one of the most common pests to sneak into Los Angeles homes. This is bad news for residents since mice are also one of the most dangerous and destructive pests around. Because of this, it’s essential for residents to know how to identify, prevent, and remove these rodents.
The most frequent mouse species to get inside area homes is the common house mouse. These small pests only get to be about six inches long including their tails, but don’t let that tiny size fool you. They are brown-grey with cream underbellies. Their eyes are black and large in proportion to their bodies, and they have long and thin tails.
Mice frequently make nests inside all kinds of residences because they use our dwellings for shelter, food, and water. They have adapted to live with humans and thrive in the environments we create, making them one of the more difficult pests to both prevent and control.
How Dangerous Are These Mice Anyway?
While mice look cute from afar, wild mice aren’t something you want to touch or have around. The main worries with these rodents are the health risks they pose, including:
- They spread many diseases, including hantavirus and salmonella.
- They often carry parasites like ticks and fleas, leading to the transmission of other diseases like Lyme disease and Bartonella.
- They can cause allergic reactions, asthma attacks, and other respiratory concerns.
- They may bite if they feel threatened, although they don’t seek to attack people.
Along with all the health issues mice could cause you, they are also extremely destructive. They will chew through a long list of materials, including fabric, plastic, drywall, wires, and more. This damage can start to add up over time, and you may have to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on repairs. Plus, they create big messes as they spread their urine and droppings throughout your property.
Six Mouse Prevention Tips For Your Los Angeles Home
While it’s true that mice are one of the more difficult pests to keep out, this doesn’t mean there aren’t effective measures you can take. Some steps that will deter mice and make an infestation less likely include:
- Always place lids on all garbage cans and pick up trash from around your yard.
- Place wire mesh on vent openings.
- Repair holes and cracks in the walls and foundation using steel wool, wire mesh, or other products mice can’t chew through.
- Wipe up food and drink spills and keep your kitchen clean. Do dirty dishes often.
- Store pet food inside the house in sealed containers. Also, keep as much of your food stored in airtight containers as you can.
- Reduce excess moisture around the property using dehumidifiers or by fixing leaky plumbing.
Limiting access to food and minimizing entry points are an excellent start to pest prevention for mice and other pests as well.
How To Get Rid Of A Mouse Infestation In Los Angeles
Seeing mice around your property already? Don’t waste your time and money trying to remove them. Instead, let the experts at A Step Above Pest Control offer residential pest control you can rely on. Mice are extremely difficult to remove once inside since they reproduce so quickly, but our team will eradicate the entire infestation and keep them from coming back.
Find out about rodent control options and get a quote by contacting us today.