Residential and commercial termite infestations are too common in the Los Angeles area. Termites can quickly damage homes, necessitating costly repairs or requiring homeowners to replace their entire home. The good news is that there are effective techniques for protecting your home against termites. Read on to understand these treatments, termite identification, and if you need services from A Step Above Pest Control & Termite.
Can I Treat My House For Termites Myself?
As a Los Angeles homeowner, you may attempt to handle pest control on your own. However, this may not be the best option for your home. Treating termites yourself can lead to further damage and lasting negative consequences. The termite chemicals you purchase from a store may not even be effective, and the products can damage your property.
If you are experiencing a termite problem and want to ensure that your home and property remain pest-free, call a pest control company such as A Step Above Pest Control & Termite.
What Kind Of Damage Can Termites Cause?
Termites can be pretty destructive, entering a home through cracks and doorframes. Here are some signs of termites damage that you may notice during a termite infestation in your home:
- Damaged Wood And Structures: Termites eat away at the wood in structures. The damage can be extensive, with entire structures needing to be demolished and rebuilt if the infestation is not detected early enough. Wood that appears brown or discolored near windows and doorways is evidence of termite damage.
- Frass Formation: Termites also leave a chemical signature known as frass. Frass resembles sawdust and is often found near windowsills, door frames, and around the structure of your home.
- Uneven Flooring: When termites eat away the wood in structures or furniture, their path sometimes leaves lower areas that may need to be filled with wood filler. These areas may be more susceptible to water damage or cracking.
- Structural Weaknesses: Termites eat through the structure of your home, making it easier for water to get in or for walls to become weak. This can have lasting effects on your home's stability and is evidence of termite damage.
The Trick To Permanently Getting Rid Of Termites In Los Angeles
The best way to deal with a termite problem is to complete an extensive treatment of your entire home. A professional pest control company like A Step Above Pest Control & Termite will first inspect your house to determine where the termites are entering and leaving. Termite treatments are much more effective when all entry points are found and closed.
Here are some of the procedures that may be used:
- Treatment For Wood In Contact With Soil: Soil treatments help prevent termites from eating through foundations and wooden support beams while keeping them from nearby plants.
- Injection: A biodegradable solution is injected into the soil around the foundation of a building. This prevents termites from entering and allows for their natural death through dehydration.
- Treatment In Gaps And Cracks: Termite entry points are found by identifying old exit holes or sources of moisture. The areas around these locations are then treated to keep termites out permanently.
- Wood Barriers: A barrier is created around the foundation of a building made from cement or resin. This substance prevents termites from entering and harming the structure.
In addition to these treatments, there are outdoor preparations that can be used as well:
- Place Grass Strips: Small gaps between landscaped grass and soil prevent termites from entering.
- Utilize Termite Bait: Place in environmentally safe locations; this food source attracts termites and is poisonous enough to eliminate entire colonies if they eat the poison.
These termite treatments can be applied to both new and existing homes. If you suspect telltale signs of termites - moisture, wood damage, or even sawdust under your appliances, call A Step Above Pest Control & Termite as soon as possible for termite identification and treatment options.