What Los Angeles Residents Should Know To Have A Rat-Free Home
October 03, 2022 - Rats
When you think Los Angeles, you think of fame, movie stars, fast cars, Rodeo Drive, and the Hollywood sign. What you may not think of are all the pests that also call this place home. Hundreds of pests can invade your Los Angeles home, including rats.
Rats are a pest that can cause significant issues in your Los Angeles home. They can expose you and your family to a variety of dangerous health issues, including hantavirus, lymphocytic choriomeningitis, tularemia, and even the Bubonic plague. They can also destroy your home by chewing through your pipes, wires, and walls. is crucial to keeping your home safe and protected.
Do I Have A Rat Infestation?
Dealing with rats can be tricky. They lurk in the corners of your home, hiding and seeking shelter from the elements. Rats are not only hard to find but also breed quickly, meaning you can quickly go from a couple of rats in the garage to a full-blown rat infestation. It is important to know the signs of a rat infestation in Los Angelas:
- Droppings: Rat droppings are pellet-shaped and less than a half inch in size. You can find them in cabinets, pantries, under sinks, and in other areas rats frequent.
- Gnaw Marks: Rats will chew through almost anything. Gnaw marks around your home are a sure sign of a rat problem.
- Nest: Rat nests are found in dark, secluded areas of your home and are usually made of shredded paper, cotton, packing materials, insulation, and other fabric.
- Rub Marks: Rats run around homes along walls and baseboards, leaving greasy streak marks as a clue to their presence.
If you see any of these signs or hear strange noises in the walls, there is a good chance you have a rat infestation in your home.
What Draws Rats To Homes In Los Angeles
Rats enter your home for two main reasons, food, and shelter. While we aren’t known for having harsh winters in LA, colder weather, heavy rain, and a lack of available resources will drive these nuisance pests inside.
As a homeowner, you should also know that rats can get into your home through gaps no bigger than a quarter. When you combine a rat’s need for food and shelter with a home that provides easy access to those resources, you will draw rodents to your home.
Here Are Six Tips For Dealing With A Rat Infestation
With how easily rats can get inside and how quickly a rodent infestation can spread, rat prevention is the best option for keeping your home safe. Here are six tips to help prevent a rat infestation:
- Use screens to cover vents and chimneys.
- Seal cracks and crevices around your home.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from your home.
- Use door sweeps on exterior doors.
- Keep attics and basements ventilated.
Following these tips will help keep your LA home rat-free.
What Does A Step Above Pest Control Do About Rats In My Home?
While there are a lot of steps you can take to keep your home rat-free, there is no substitute for professional rat control. At A Step Above Pest Control, we offer comprehensive rat control for your home.
After inspecting your home for signs of rats and where they are nesting, our technicians will work quickly using baiting and trapping to eliminate the rats in your home. We also offer rodent proofing and exclusion services that will keep rats out permanently, protecting your home and family from these pests and all the dangerous problems they bring.