Why Are Oriental Cockroaches So Hard To Get Rid Of In Los Angeles
May 15, 2022 - Cockroaches
Have you noticed dozens of cockroaches scampering around your home? You might think they are just pests, but the truth is that even one can reproduce into a cockroach infestation. Oriental cockroaches are infamous for their tenacity and ability to find new food sources even when you think you have eradicated them already.
They carry a lot of bacteria, viruses, and parasites, which makes them a serious threat to your health. If you see signs of these pests, it's essential to take immediate action. Here are some cockroach facts and what Los Angeles Pest Control services can do if you find a cockroach in your house.
What Do Oriental Cockroaches Look Like
For proper cockroach identification, you need to understand how they look. Oriental cockroaches are tiny insects that can be black, brown, or tan. They have six legs and good climbing abilities. Although they are usually only about an inch long, oriental cockroaches can grow up to two inches when fully developed.
The oriental cockroach is reddish-brown with a lighter marking in the middle. Its wings are longer than its body, and it has a yellow band around the edge of its body.
Why Are Oriental Cockroaches Dangerous
Roaches are hazardous because they spread diseases and bacteria. They can carry salmonella, E. Coli, and other harmful organisms on their bodies and in their digestive tracts. They pick up these germs as they crawl through decaying matter or sewage and then transfer those pathogens to food and surfaces as they move.
Why Is It So Hard To Get Rid Of Oriental Roaches In Homes?
One cockroach fact that can’t be ignored is that it’s notoriously difficult to eradicate them because they are highly adaptable and quickly reproduce. They also have a high birth rate, with around 50-60 eggs per sac, which can quickly become a cockroach infestation. These numbers make it easy for cockroaches to quickly infest your Los Angeles home, creating a severe sanitation problem that puts your health at risk.
Although experts recommend using multiple techniques to eliminate cockroaches, the most effective way to get rid of these pests is to let A Step Above Pest Control technicians carry out proper cockroach identification and extermination using cockroach control products.
The Secret To Effective Cockroach Control In Los Angeles
The most effective way to get rid of cockroaches is through an integrated pest management approach, which includes a variety of tactics. These might include:
- Sanitation And Exclusion: Reducing clutter and limiting food sources can make your home less attractive to roaches. In addition, repairing leaky pipes and removing stored newspapers and cardboard boxes can help keep cockroaches from entering your home.
- Using Insecticides: Insecticide is often used in conjunction with sanitation to provide immediate relief while the other techniques take effect.
- Baiting And Trapping: Professionals use unique bait stations filled with food-grade attractants to lure roaches. These stations are located throughout your home, where they are most likely to be found.
- Non-Chemical Control: Certain traps can capture large numbers of cockroaches quickly. Although these traps don't kill the insects, they are often used before insecticides are applied to reduce the population of cockroaches at one time.
- Steam Treatment: Steam can be used to kill cockroaches inside wall voids or other hard-to-reach places that might be difficult to treat with sprays.
- Cockroach Growth Regulators (chemicals that stop roach reproduction): These are among the safest insecticides to use against cockroaches and can be very effective when used with other pest management methods.
Getting rid of cockroaches in your home using cockroach control products is essential for the safety and health of you and your family. As previously mentioned, oriental cockroaches can spread disease, contaminate food sources, and cause allergic reactions in many people.
If you suspect that there may be an infestation or if you find a cockroach in your house in your Los Angeles home, contact A Step Above Pest Control. Our team of professionals has the knowledge and equipment needed to get rid of these pests for good.